Monday, April 4, 2011

On the Rainy River

This chapter is my favorite so far. I really enjoy how it introduces Tim O'Brien as a character not just a narrator. the story of how he struggled with his decision about going to the war interest me. It showed me how millions of young men might of felt when they got the letter of being drafted. I also like how he admitted that Elroy Berdahl "Saved him". He gave so much insight into his life at this moment in this chapter. I feel as though i really got to know Tim on a more personal level. He was one of the people who thought the war was wrong. Which at the time in America there were people for the war and against it so it divided America in ways no one was really expecting. I think from this chapter on the direction of the book is going to change and we will see how the war really affected the young men lives.

1 comment:

  1. Of course this is the first story that is told in "first person," narrated by the character Tim O'Brien. What is the effect of a writer naming a character after himself?Does it make us question the division between fiction and nonfiction? The story really emphasizes the internal struggle that so many young men felt. Consider how you "felt" different because of the narrative point of view. Perhaps you liked in most because it felt more intimate, more personal. That's how I felt.

    Good Armani!

    ReplyDelete